Monday, April 30, 2018

And here we are... rolling into May!

Whew! I feel like it's been an eternity since I've posted here, but I wouldn't want to break my "once per month" unintended rule that I've started for 2018, so I figured on this, the last day of April, I should continue that trend. Hopefully, it will be the end of that cycle and things will get a bit more regular... or at least frequent, but if you've hung around here long enough, you know that I often say that and then the opposite takes place, so we'll just leave it at the thought that I have hope for more writing, but won't promise that as reality.

In part, I've wondered if there's still purpose in the blog. So many have changed formats and are using more Twitter and Instagram, likely because it's easier and more convenient to busy life. I have to admit that even I find that media much easier in the sense that if something amuses me in the moment, I can snap a photo and share without having to sit and take the time to format more elaborate thoughts. But, the other part of me knows that I enjoy the longer process of forming ideas (whether they feel cohesive or not once finished) and/or coming to realizations as I write. It is often therapeutic to be able to rid my mind of thoughts and get them down on paper (or screen, as is the case here).

The truth is that life has been shifting. I've felt it for awhile and I have tried to fight it, but it's not always easy to do. Other priorities are taking up time and there's just a reality to how much time there is in an hour, a day, a week, and so on.
This morning's ride was shorter, but green is starting to appear, which means summer is on its way and the long sleeves will soon be a distant memory
Riding is always a priority, but sometimes it takes different forms. There are times when all I can do is transport myself by bicycle to the places I need to go, and there are other times when I can roam freely for hours and push physical limits. Sometimes I record the rides, and sometimes I don't. There is always an ebb and flow to the whole process and it is obvious to me today that inconsistency is just a reality.

Several months ago, I mentioned that a new bike had landed here. I have been riding it (somewhat inconsistently -- because, I wouldn't want to shake up the erratic flow of present life), but I've also discovered that I don't think it's quite the bike for me. I had high hopes for it and there are aspects to it that I really do like quite a bit, but as a whole, it's just not what I was hoping to get out of the build. So, while I do have a post started about the bike, it may be a bit before I can clearly synthesize what I want to share out of the experience and the bike itself.

Sam and I had also been pondering another tandem bicycle, as has been indicated as a possibility in past posts. The "pondering" became a reality though when we submitted a request for a custom about a month ago. We have enjoyed the tandem far more than I ever thought possible, and the reality of it being too large (specifically, for the captain) over longer distances has taken its toll. Not to mention that we've been attempting to use it for purposes never really intended by the manufacturer. While we tried to just be tough and suck it up, there is a reality to any bike being too large and in order to continue our new-found infatuation, it was deemed acceptable to spend a little money to hopefully find a lot of enjoyment.

So, while we wait for the outcome of this experiment (which shouldn't be too much longer, as we've been told the frame is in the painting processes as of a week ago), we have, of course, high expectations for riding together throughout the summer months. I'm anxious for climbing and exploring and the many adventures we will hopefully be able to take together over the next several months (and years).

Of course, there's also a certain level of anxiety. Custom builds have not exactly been the best experiences for me in the past, and unfortunately with a tandem and our vertical challenges, it's really the only way that is possible. There is fear, like any other unknown, but we also know there will be tweaks to any bike - single or tandem - but have faith that the overall product will be good and usable for us. Only time will tell with certainty though.

In the meantime, we continue to ride - both solo and tandem - enjoying whatever time we are able to be on two wheels. I hope that you continue to roll smoothly through this spring and right into summer too. Feel free to share your adventures here as well. It's always fun to read what others are up to.

6 comments:

  1. Amongst the bloggers that I read several have said recenlty that they too have wondered whether to continue blogging. I haven't written that myself but have been thinking it, and I've only been going 2 1/2 years. For me it's about whether I want to spend the time in front of a screen, as it's not just the writing but keeping the blog up to date and looking nice - I wish mine looked better but I can't face spending much time finding out how to do it! But then I tell myself that it's not really that important, as I know of other blogs that don't look that good but I still enjoy reading them. Everyone's reasons for blogging, or giving up blogging, are different methinks.
    Personally I don't do Instagram or Twitter, and probably never will, and only just about do Facebook (for "business" reasons - I have a sewing page through which I earn a little money). I am very much a "slow" person and love reading blogs like yours which talk about other aspects of cycling apart from just the route and the mileage!
    Re tweaking a new bike, I bought a new one last year and have done quite a bit of tweaking, in particular to the handlebars and saddle, and finally feel now that I have got it right, apart from the fact that I am awaiting a Brooks B67 saddle, which I desperately hope I like when it arrives! I do hope that your new tandem, when it comes, is all you hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize so many bloggers have fallen away. It's always sad for me to see and in the time I've been reading bicycle blogs it seems there has been a surge and then disappearance of several. I do understand that life has to take priority though, and I also empathize with the reality that sometimes it becomes more of an obligation and less of something that is fun to do. I think that's why I had to remove the pressure of feeling as though I "have to" blog. Of course, then I tend to have long stretches of time without any sort of writing, which isn't good either. Hopefully, I'll find a happy balance somewhere along the road. :)

      Getting a new bike (whether actually "new" or just new-to-you) always seems to require some amount of change. I know that I always want to have the perfect bike right from the start, but I don't think it's realistic for most of us. We will always find that the handlebars aren't quite right or we prefer a different pedal, saddle, or some other widget.

      I have been a big fan of Brooks saddles, but I know that not everyone feels the same. I owned a B67 when I had more upright bikes and I truly enjoyed the saddle, so I hope you find the same to be true for you. The leather saddles seem to take a bit of time to break in, but once they do, it's difficult for me to imagine having anything else.

      Thank you for the well wishes with the soon-to-arrive tandem. I hope it will be everything we hope for too. :)

      Delete
  2. GE - I always enjoy reading your thoughts. I joined Instagram, but it's more to keep up with the times (and our teenagers) but haven't posted to FB in a long time. for me, FB is only useful for upcoming events and their reminders. Technology will change - that's a given - but how many folks exchange screen time for cycling? I'd rather see folks ride more, and if the exchange is less blogging than that's okay. I love to read blogs because I want to learn and see other folks' take on solving problems, their ideas, tours, etc. I write for the same reasons; to share and get other people's input. I've learned that my riding preferences have changed and is constantly evolving...as in life, much like your new found tandem love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't use FB either, Annie. I have an account, but it's very, very rare that I log in to it. I guess I don't really use Instagram as most do either. Oh well. :)

      It's nice to be able to have others input/thoughts/experiences when it comes to building, riding, re-building, tweaking a bike. I enjoy hearing (or reading) about what is going on for others, so I'm always thankful that there are still those who keep on writing about their experiences too.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you back here again. I agree that other forms of social media, like Twitter and Instagram, might replace some of what you like to do in a blog. I think I follow you on Twitter (I’ll go check that right after leaving this comment). One nice thing about that platform is that if you let this one go dormant for a while or only post infrequently, you can still let your followers know when a new post is up by linking to it on Twitter. I definitely *need* to know anytime you have something to say about a new bike or a new build. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ::laughing:: Ha! Need to know. :)

      I'm going to try to be a little better about blogging somewhat more regularly. We'll see how that goes! Glad you hang around for my inconsistent rants, and hope all is well for you.

      Delete

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.